Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Organizing cute baby stuff- old project



Ever since I read The EveryGirl's Guide to Life by Maria Menounos, it has opened my mind to how I need to be organized to not be as wasteful with my time and use it where it really matters to me.  It was mindblasting! Hehe.  Anyway, with our first baby on the way, I was so confused with all the lingo for all the baby clothes.  I knew there were going to be a lot of supplies for one tiny body, but I hoped it would be less chaotic storing it all.  I hope this post helps some new mom or dad. 

Problem: baby clothes and supplies.  So many components.  Babies outgrow clothes & diapers quickly. 

Goal (the idea of the goals came from that book's general organizing tips, although there was no such baby nursery section): 
1) keep all the diapers, wipes, etc supply in check before we run out...and there's a bare butt on the changing table without a diaper to cover it. 
2) organized so that any babysitter can figure out where things are without us needing to explain every time.
3) cute & easy enough that I won't stop using the system
4) hide the supply in case guests come over & use that room

Game Plan:

1) Clothes organized all those based on size/date, ex. Newborn to 3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months. All those clothes were placed in 1 pink shoe organizer.  I used the shoe organizer for the multiple compartments and that it was cheap to find...and could be stowed away under the bed.  Every 3 months, I pull out the needed clothes and use them in the baby closet. 
2) In the closet, clothes to be used in the 3 months span were sorted by type, ex. Short sleeved Onesies, long sleeved Onesies, dresses. I don't fold the clothes because I think it wastes time and is unnecessary since kids mess them up moving around away.  After 3 months are done, I take all those clothes and dump them into a storage bin to be moved into the garage. 
3) A set of plastic cubbies (cheap at Target) were used to hold groups of wipes, nursing pads, etc. At one glance, I can see how many wipes or diapers are left.  
4) Shoes were arranged by size on top of butcher paper.  I wrote out the size in front of the shoe, so there would be no confusion what size shoe the baby had available.  Also, it's cute to see all the baby girl shoes lined up. 
5) I made labels for all the categories. I didn't want to spend much, so I used notecards with buttons or staples to secure them.  
6) We took out the heavy, broken white sliding doors and replaced them with Martha Stewart curtains from Home Depot, so that when guests are over I can quickly close the closet.  Plus, I loved the love of the curtains. 







No comments:

Post a Comment